Monday 25 May 2009

Dealing with Subconscious Profit Protection Syndrome

or 'ceasing to trade after a period of success'

The AtticFund has an 'ok' start. Up 7.7% after 6 weeks. It's not bad and its not great.

But I find myself in a 'mental place' that is preventing me from getting invested. There are a number of reasons for this.

1) I'm protecting the profit
2) I've booked some profits on positions that have subsequently made huge advances in my favour - When this happens its really hard to remind ones self that the market doesn't care one bit how I have traded in the past. It does not care that I've left money on the table. However getting into a stock that was 40% cheaper only a week ago (even when the system is still giving you a buy signal) is bl*ody hard!
3) My stock selection methodology needed revisiting (This is in hand and so I'm just left with the reality of dealing with my current mental state - God I sound like I need to be sectioned!!)

Here is what I plan to do in order to overcome Subconscious Profit Protection Syndrome;
1) Acknowledge that I have an issue with getting back into the market after a period of relative success - When I get this feeling remind myself that the market doesn't give a sh*t about me and what I have/haven't made in the last couple of weeks.
2) Forget any trades that I made (that subsequently moved big time in my favour, by removing them from my watchlist and ceasing to follow their activity - until such time as they reappear on the watchlist because they conform to my trading parameters)
3) Record my feelings in blog as this helps me to understand, clarify and move forward

Lovely Jubbly - Personnel therapy session complete....
blog comments powered by Disqus